St Brendan’s College is fully committed to the ongoing development of the Pastoral Care of all students in the school. Adopting a whole school approach, we continually strive to promote all aspects of the growth and development of each student in a caring environment. The enhancement of self-esteem and life skills and the development of potential – academic, personal and emotional – leading to greater personal autonomy for all students are our central goals. We strive to ensure that all students are supported in our school and will leave as well adjusted, flexible and enterprising young adults filled with a healthy self- image and self– worth enabling them to meet the challenges of a changing society.
The Year Heads and Year Teams
Each year group is supported by Year Heads, an S.E.N. organiser and a Pastoral Care coordinator. This group meet each week and provide academic and personal support to all the students in their year. They monitor the educational and general progress of each student. They are aided in their task by individual class tutors who meet their class group each morning.
Year Heads 2022/2023
- 1st Years – Mr Paul Kelliher and Mr Micheál Ó Dubháin
- 2nd Years – Ms Mish O’Donoghue and Mr Ed O’Neill
- 3rd Years – Mr Michael Leahy and Mr Turlough O Brien
- Transition Year (TY) – Ms Eimear Buckley and Mr P J Lucey
- 5th Years – Mr Garry McGrath and Mr Jeremy Kenny
- 6th Years – Mr Paul Barden
The school employs 2 staff members who are Guidance Counsellors. They work with students from 1st year to 6th year, individually and in groups, concerning the following areas:
- Educational Guidance: study skills, exam techniques, subject choice, CAO & UCAS applications.
- Vocational Guidance: aptitude tests, information on careers, interview preparation.
- Personal & Social Development: students can meet with the guidance counsellor on an individual basis to talk about issues of concern. Parents are also encouraged to contact the guidance counsellor if they have any concerns.
The school also employs an external trained Counsellor who meets with students on a one-to-one bases as required.
The Pastoral Care Team consists of the Guidance Counsellors, the Deputy Principals and Principal.
The group, which meets formally once a week, monitors at-risk students as well as proactively planning strategies and events which support the welfare of our students.
The school works with outside counselling agencies, the Southwest Counselling Centre, the HSE and NEPS (National Educational Psychological Service). This is further reinforced by visiting speakers from The Garda Siochána, Kerry Mental Health Association, Drug Awareness Initiatives & Kerry Life Education.
Pastoral Care Team
The Pastoral care team combines representation from the Year Head, Special Needs, Senior Management Religious Education and Guidance Teams.
KNOW YOUR NUMBERS
Freephone Numbers. For Confidential non-judgmental Support
Immediate Help, GP or A&E: 999
Samaritans: 1850 60 90 90
1 Life Suicide Prevention*: 24/7: 1800 247 100 or Text ‘Help’ to 51444
Aware: 1890 303 302
Heads Up* : Text ‘Headsup’ to 50424
Rape Crisis 24/7*: 1800 778 888
Console*: 1800 201 890
Cura* : 1850 622 626
Teenline Ireland*: 1800 833 634 (7pm – 10pm)
LGBT (Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender): 1890 929538